Tell free in the U.S. 866-416-0747 / 770-447-0360

Document Certification

If your US documents are going to a country that is not a member of the Hague Apostille Convention, they will require a special certification. 

If your US-issued documents are to be used by a non-member of the 1961 Hague Apostille Treaty, they won’t need an apostille. Your documents will require a different certification instead.  

Atlanta-based Georgia Apostille can assist you in obtaining the required certification for your documents if you plan to use them in a foreign country or if you need them certified for use within the United States.

Apostille is also not valid for use anywhere in the United States of America, its territories, or possessions. If you plan to use your document in the United States you will need to contact the authorities that issued it or your local government and inquire about additional certification of your document for use in the United States.

These easy questions will help you navigate the complex process of document legalization for use in a non-Hague Convention member country:

1. Tell us about your document:
   - Do you have an original document or a certified copy?
   - If yes, proceed to Question 2.
   - If not, you will first need to obtain an original or a certified copy to begin the legalization process.

2. Where was your document issued?
   - Was your document issued by one of the 50 U.S. States or by the District of Columbia and has an official stamp/seal?
   - If yes, proceed to Question 3.
   - If not, proceed with the instructions below:
     -  Did the U.S. Federal government issue your document? If so, proceed to the U.S. Department of State Apostille page for further instructions. 
     - Was your personal or corporate document signed and notarized by a notary public in your state?
        - If yes, proceed to question 3. 
        - If not, you will first need to have your document signed and notarized by a licensed notary public.

3. What is the country of destination for your document?
Is your document going to one of the countries on  this list?
   - If yes, your document requires an apostille. Please proceed to Our Services page to apply for an apostille.
   - If your document is going to the country NOT listed above, you will need to obtain a U.S. State Certification and Embassy/Consulate legalization for your document. Proceed to step 4 for further instructions.

4. Document Review:
Our service includes complimentary document review which saves you time and money and eliminates shipping back and forth of the originals if they are not ready for authentication yet.  All you have to do is to fill out a short order form online and upload copies of documents you need to authenticate. We review your order and will let you know if your documents meet certification requirements. If your documents are ready for authentication, we provide you with cost and processing time estimates. Our rates and processing options can also be found on our Rates page. If your documents don’t meet authentication requirements, we will advise you on the steps you need to take to prepare your document for certification. 

5. Prepare the Apostille/Legalization Request Form.
- Download an Apostille/Legalization Order and print it.
- Complete the Apostille/Legalization request form. For mailing instructions and payment please refer to our website.
Once we receive your documents, we will send you receipt confirmation by email. 

6. Questions? 
Feel free to contact us during business hours 9 AM - 5 PM U.S. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday:
• by phone: 770-447-0360
• by fax: 770-447-0790
• or message via our website or Contact Us page.

Toll free in the U.S. 866-416-0747 / 770-447-0360